Dad came down to visit this last weekend. He got here on Thursday and we braved the cold weather (50 degrees) to get in a round of golf on Friday. We headed up to Lubbock on Saturday to watch KSU take a drumming at Texas Tech and he took off Sunday morning.
Our electrofishing sampling is done at night so I have been working some weird hours the past few weeks. We go at night because the fish are more accessible and there aren't near as many anglers along the banks.
We haven't seen any real bigguns' but here's the biggest bass from last night.


9 comments:
Is that blue thing around your neck a lifejacket?
Ummm...Electrofishing sampling...?? Does not compute. What is it??
Yep. A life jacket.
We have a specially designed electricity pulsator that emits an electrical current into the water around the boat. The electricity causes the fish's muscles to contract so they float up to the surface. We scoop them up with nets, measure them, weigh them, and send them back on their merry way no worse for wear.
Thanks for the mini-tutorial, Ben!
I bet you had no idea that I went around electrocuting fish, huh?
Well, no...but I wonder if the fish secretly like their little "electrical massages" that you are providing, courtesy of the State of Texas...??
Courtesy of the State of Texas taxpayers :)
Right, right...I stand corrected!
Well I knew what electrofishing was! :)
Post a Comment