It has been some time since my last post and there are some things I want to document. When Jack was 4 weeks and 2 days old he gave us the scare of our lives. I was getting him ready for bed in his room and Ben was downstairs. I had just changed Jack's diaper, put lotion on him, and was putting on his pajamas when he stopped breathing and went stiff as a board. I picked him up and shook him a little. His back was arched and his legs were twitching. His tongue was protruding and eye were rolled into the back of his head. I ran down the stairs with him and yelled for Ben. At that point Jack made a strange noise and took a breath. He had snot coming out of his nose and was choking on foam in his mouth. I suctioned out his nose and mouth. After that, he just looked at Ben and I for a minute and fell asleep. I drove him to the ER while Ben waited for his mom to come sit with Ella. She managed to sleep through all of this. The ER doctor diagnosed Jack with a particular kind of reflux that causes episodes such as this. I am still not convinced that it wasn't a seizure, sure did look like one. The following Monday we saw Jack's pediatrician. She started him on Prevacid and wanted to see him back in 1 week. We didn't notice much of a difference in him during that week. He still grunts and strains most of the time. His belly button pokes out due to his straining. During that week Jack had 4 HUGE vomits. A couple of times we were putting a pacifier in his mouth and once I was giving him medicine. He just got to gagging and then puked very forcefully. When I described it to his doctor she became concerned that he had something called pyloric stenosis. It is typical in the first born male at 6 weeks of age. She sent us to the hospital for an ultrasound to rule it out. A doctor came in to watch Jack's ultrasound as this type of thing had not been done here in Independence before. The doctor assisted with the research that determined the criteria by which pyloric stenosis is diagnosed (boy are we lucky). He was pleased to tell me that Jack did not have the disease. At this point, Jack's pediatrician left it up to us to do an upper GI to rule out any other gastric issues that might be causing the grunting and straining. Jack seems much more comfortable this week. He seems to be straining less and rarely spits up. He is gaining weight (at last check he was 10lbs 10oz).



Ella continues to grow and impress us with her wits. She can identify most written letters. She is getting better at identifying colors, but her most common answer is still yellow. She clearly loves to learn and enjoys being praised for what she knows. She is also getting pretty naughty at times. She tests us daily to see what she can get away with. We haven't had to use much discipline until now and lately we started doing time out. That is the longest minute of my life. I am NOT ready for a week and a half from now when we have to wait 2 minutes. She will start a new daycare on March 26th. Her other provider, Misty, is moving to Kansas City. Her new provider is Lindsay and she has a 4 year old and 1 year old. They are both girls. I heard about Lindsay using care.com, but I didn't want to pay the membership fee. She mentioned that she takes her girls to storytime at the library, so we went there in hopes of meeting her. My plan worked!



Last Thursday, Ben let Sam out in the backyard. There was a cat and Sam took after it. She almost caught it, but stopped dead in her tracks, lifted her foot, and began to screech. Ben brought her inside, but she would not put any weight on her foot. Shortly after, it began to swell. We took her to the vet and they took some xrays. She broke 4 bones in her left front foot. The vet speculated that she stepped in a hole. This makes sense because there is a mole (or other burrowing creature) in the yard and Sam has been digging to get it, making for numerous foot-sized holes. She will be in a splint for 8-12 weeks with weekly appointments. She also has to keep it dry so she spends most of her outside time on a leash with a booty Ben made out of a Walmart bag and duct tape.
2 comments:
The picture of Jack in the swing with his eyes shut -he looks like Ella. The one with his eyes open - he looks like Baron! He just seems to be growing so quickly. Thanks for the great post.
You have been so busy the last few weeks! Never a dull moment at the Neely's!
Post a Comment