Ella's getting older!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Jack's getting older!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Knives

Ever since I really got interested in deer hunting a few years ago, I have really been wanting a good knife. However, I didn't want to blow a big chunk of change on a assembly line manufactured piece. I was banking on Moose to make me one but he never came through (it's still not too late Moose).

I found a guy here in Abilene that makes some pretty good looking knives and asked if he could do a couple for me. The kicker was that I wanted him to use material I provided.

The first knife I am getting is an all-purpose hunting knife made out of one of Grandpa Neely's old files with a handle made from a chunk of his firewood. It will be this style, but won't have all of the fancy filework across the top. Also, the osage handle will be a lot more orange like the one in the second picture down.




The second knife I'm getting will be a smaller skinner with a fat handle. This one will be made from a file that has seen several generations. I got it from Grandpa Jay and he thinks he got it from his Grandpa. The handle for that one will be made from a chunk of mesquite that used to be where our house is now. It will look a lot like these two.



If you're interested in seeing some of his other work, HERE is his website. He thinks he'll get started on my knives sometime in August and will finish up in September sometime. I'll make sure to post up some pictures once he gets done.

6 comments:

Lynn Bumgarner said...

I love that you wanted to use your grandfathers' files! That will really make these knives special to you.

Jessica said...

This may be a very stupid question, but what are you going to do with the knives? Is that what you are planning on using to skin your deer?

Ben said...

I'll use one of them to skin the critter and the other to field dress and process the critter.

Mom said...

I think this is a great idea, Ben. I, too, love the idea of you making knives from your grandparents' resources. It makes them almost more heirlooms that tools (tell that to the deer.....)

Mom said...

I seriously need to proofread first....then post. Should have said "it makes them almost more heirlooms THAN tools...." *sigh*

Ben said...

There's nothing saying they can't be both heirlooms and tools. I think of them as functional heirlooms.