Ella's getting older!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Jack's getting older!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 25, 2009

My New Job

So, it sounds like some of you would like to know a little more about my job. President Obama and I took office on the same day, Tuesday. I am the Forensic Interview Specialist for the Abilene Taylor County Child Advocacy Center. My office is located inside of the Taylor County Law Enforcement Center along with all of the Sheriff people and Police. The Chief's office is just down the hall from mine. On my first day I had my picture taken for my awesome police badge (it is not like the ones on the movies, but cool all the same).
My supervisor is the Director of the CAC, Melinda Dunlap. Her supervisor is Lt. Watkins and his is the Chief of Police. I work for the Criminal Investigation Division. Basically anytime a child is a victim or a witness in a crime they have to come to the CAC and be interviewed. After I am trained on February 11th I will conduct 90% of those interviews. Training is done in Austin and I will be there from Sunday to Wednesday all by my lonesome. It will be strange traveling without Ben and having him stay home with Sam for a change.
The kids are interviewed in a room with a one-way mirror and the interview is taped. The detective leading the investigation watches the interview on the other side of the mirror. If Child Protective Services is involved they watch the interview as well. A therapist from the Regional Crime Victims Center watches too and takes notes in case the family seeks services for the child later on. On average, the CAC interviews 400 children a year and most of those interviews are done to investigate allegations of sexual and/or physical abuse.
Dressing up for work everyday has been a challenge. I did not realize how casually I dressed at DSN. I really have to step it up!
My hours are fairly flexible. If I arrive at 8am I am free to leave a 4:30pm and if I arrive at 8:30 I can leave at 5pm. I will only be working on weekdays. Part of my job is to find a grant to pay for my job starting in September. If I can't find one, then I will start looking for other employment. Just a little pressure! I think that should answer most of your questions for now. Let me know what more you would like to know and I will post it soon. --Tiffany

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your new job is such an important one. I know you are the perfect person to meet this challenge. So, career clothes would be good birthday gifts?? :)

Anonymous said...

Quite a trip you have to make each week.

Lynn Bumgarner said...

So glad to get the details of your new job...we've been wondering! I'm glad you have it, and hope you can find funding to keep it! Those are some lucky kids you work with. Love you! Aunt Lynn