Ella's getting older!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Jack's getting older!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, March 6, 2009

Supper tonight

With our house coming right along and my birthday coming up on Tuesday, we celebrated tonight by trying our hand at cooking a prime rib roast.

First I let the roast sit on the counter for a couple of hours to try and get it down to room temperature so it would cook more evenly. At about 5:15, I turned the oven on to 450 and patted the roast dry with some paper towels. Then I rubbed it real good with salt and pepper on all sides. We then rubbed butter all over the cut ends and also on the top side. After the roast was well lubed and seasoned, I put it in a baking pan bone side down and fat side up. I put it in the oven about 5:30 and cooked it at 450 for 20 minutes to sear it then turned the oven down to 325 and let it go. Every 30 minutes, we put a couple pads of butter on top of the roast and also basted it with the drippings. At about 7:30 it reached an internal temperature of 125 so we took it out and let it sit for 20 minutes while basting it periodically.

I was worried about carving it, but it also ended up being pretty easy. After the roast rested for the 20 minutes, I carved the main part of the roast from the bones and cut it into about 1"-1.5" slices. Then I cut most of the meat off one of the three bones and let Sam chew on it a bit. We also cooked up some asparagus and baked potatoes and had a feast.







Now that I have put a post on top of Tiffany's, please comment on the one she posted. She gets disappointed when no one posts comments. Hope to see you all soon!

5 comments:

Lynn Bumgarner said...

Wow!! I am SO impressed! Looks delicious...congratulations on a successful effort. Love you!

Anonymous said...

That picture looks like something out of a gourmet restaurant magazine! Wow! Any chance of that effort repeating itself when we wander down your way in a few weeks?? ;)

Jessica said...

Sam says thanks for the bone!

Jessica said...

How many meals did you get out of this?

Ben said...

It ended up being six meals. Three for each of us. In retrospect, it'd be better if there were six people to feed. Prime rib is much better fresh off the heat.