Yesterday morning I met with my Doctor. I am 36 weeks. She did a Group B Strep Test (Wonderful test. If you haven't ever had one, I highly recommend it *sarcasm) and checked my blood pressure. It was 140/76. Her criteria is that if either number is at or above 140/90 I have to go to the hospital and be monitored for at least 6 hours. The 2 previous trips to the hospital have been overnight stays. So, off we went to the hospital. My blood pressure is always much higher at the hospital and yesterday was no exception. After a few hours of observation she decided to keep me overnight and complete a 24 hour urine test to measure the amount of protein in my urine. The amount of protein is an indication of increased blood pressure. If the protein level is under 300, I will get to go home. If the level is at or above 300, I stay here in the hospital. Either way, she plans to do an induction on Wednesday, January 25th in the morning. There is a high likelihood that our baby boy will be born on the 25th, but if he is anything like his sister he will make us wait until the 26th. We will just have to see.
So, we have a week to finish preparing mentally for another baby. Ben and I are very excited. I am not sure Ella truly understands what is about to happen. We talk about the baby and she seems to like other babies, but I am concerned about what will happen when this baby comes home with us and doesn't leave. Ella has had some MAJOR life changes in the past 6 months and I just hope that she handles this as well as she has handled the others.
I am just turned in the 24 hour urine test and am anxiously awaiting the results. My least favorite part of all of this is that when my doctor decides to keep me overnight that means I have to have an IV. It makes me very angry at the nurse and it takes a couple hours for me to get over it and be friends again. The hospital is very nice though and many of the nurses either know Ben or are married to people he knows/is friends with. It makes the service a bit more personal.
Here's hoping that I get to go home, but if I don't I would like to have a fast and relatively painless delivery.
Wednesday, January 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Sorry you're stuck being bored in the hospital. Hard to believe Ella is going to be a big sister SO SOON! I love you guys tons. Can't wait to see you in a couple weeks. Take care of yourself, Tiff!
Oh, I have such fond memories of my pregnancies. Especially the strep test... it's just so up close and PERSONAL. Snicker... Hang in there and know we're all sending positive thoughts! And the mamas? Well, we just sending prayers up for a quick and easy delivery. Hang in there! Jennifer
Post a Comment