Thursday, January 19, 2012
Why I Hate IVs
In my last post I talked about my hatred for IVs and, at least for a few minutes, the nurses that put them in. Well, when you stay in the hospital your IV has to be changed every 3 days. That means that tomorrow I would have to have an new IV. The one I've had for the last few days became increasingly uncomfortable today. This afternoon the nurse removed some of the tape because it was itching and I thought that might do the trick. When the night nurse came in to flush it with saline there was a sharp pain that soon led to a burning sensation that got increasingly worse. It was determined that my IV had clotted off and needed to be moved. I tried to be a big girl about it. I made some jokes and tried to be casual. In reality, I began to sweat and my legs began to shake like I was standing in thigh-high snow. Long story short, 4 IV sticks, 4 blown veins, and 2 nurses later we are currently taking a break to regroup. For a brief moment I contemplated locking myself in the bathroom, but they lured me out with the promise of hearing the baby's heartbeat. The worst part about all of this is that me getting so upset about needle sticks does not help me feel any better about labor in a few days.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Oh Tiff how awful!! :(:( We just don't do IV's well. I would say "wish I could do it for you" but we BOTH know I'd be lying. Lol Hang in there & just concentrate on the joy of getting to go home with that sweet baby boy soon. Love you, we are all praying for your health and comfort and can't wait to meet our newest grandson!!
Do you need me to come down there and take care of those nurses? You need to just tell them that you dont like needles and the person doing your IV needs to be experienced! If I need to I will come down and get them straightened out!
I completely identify with your hatred of all needles. Most of my needle-centered experiences have ended up with me passed out cold. Icky feeling. Hang in there, and focus on that sweet little boy just waiting to see you face to face! Love to all.
Post a Comment